Re: networking in rcS

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 12:45:16AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 02:06:01PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > That's nice. It'll just get closed, unless you present a *very* compelling
> > argument as to why the current way is the wrong way.
> >
> > "Red Hat does it differently" is not a remotely compelling argument,
> > for reference.
>
> Ok, no problem.  I guess it might be my misconception, but it had always
> been my impression that single user mode meant that only one user could
> access the machine, and that was from the console.  I guess I am confused
> why it looks like booting to runlevel 1 starts networking, mounts nfs
> partitions, then does a killall5.
>
> The manpage for init on this box (which is progeny 1.0 upgraded to debian
> testing) says:
>
>        Runlevel  S  or s bring the system to single user mode and
>        do not require an  /etc/initttab  file.   In  single  user
>        mode, /sbin/sulogin is invoked on /dev/console.
>
> This makes me think that networking should not be enabled in rcS.  I floated
> my first email as a question, as I really was more curious then anything
> else.  I have no love of RedHat and the way they do things, haven't
> installed it on my own machines in years.  Single user mode was just
> something I assumed was universal accross linuxes, and you know what happens
> to people who make assumptions. ;)

the fact that networking has started does not imply that another user can
access the machine, sshd (and telnetd if you are demented enough to use that
aswell/instead) dont start in rcS.d, nor does inetd (or its variants) the only
way someone else would access the machine in single user mode is if they found
an exploit for some networking software that is running, and not much is, heck
nfs-server is not available until run level 4 (not sure about knfsd, it may be
there already)

Networking is started so that the machine is useful to the admin logged in at
the console, not so anyone else (even the admin) can access it remotely)

        See You
            Steve

ps. just curious, Sean Dague, why does an email from you to the list have
Mail-Followup-To set to Anthony Towns email address as well as the list? if
anything I would have though it would have your email address as well as the
list. Anthony may not want an email reply meant for you or the list.

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/
Look Up In The Sky