Re: New LILO version, was Re: Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

On Thursday 24 May 2001 18:25, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > > many questions on an upgrade. Why run liloconfig at all? I'm only
> > > upgrading LILO, not reconfiguring my whole system boot process. It
> > > works out OK, but I'd rather be told I can run liloconfig than be
> > > forced into it.
> >
> > Currently I have rolled back the configuration/postinst code to what it
> > was before I started packaging LILO (with the sole exception being the
> > renaming of /boot/*.b).  What it is now is essentially what it has been
> > for years.
>
> I don't have any problem with liloconfig running on a new install, that
> makes sense. Doing an automatic configuration step during an upgrade is
> simply not useful, for the most part, and could easily be removed, leaving
> these steps in place for the fresh install.

Well the way it effectively operates is to just ask if you want to install a
boot block with the new lilo.

Someone made the really good suggestion of having the boot.b type files in
/usr/lib/lilo (or some such directory) and have them copied in when the lilo
command is run.  If I implement that suggestion then I will make it not run
liloconfig on postinst unless there is no /etc/lilo.conf.