Re: New LILO version, was Re: Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Thursday 24 May 2001 14:39, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > Russel, thanks for sending me a copy of the latest release of LILO. I was
> > able to install it without incident, however, there are still too many
> > questions on an upgrade. Why run liloconfig at all? I'm only upgrading
> > LILO, not reconfiguring my whole system boot process. It works out OK, but
> > I'd rather be told I can run liloconfig than be forced into it.
>
> Currently I have rolled back the configuration/postinst code to what it was
> before I started packaging LILO (with the sole exception being the renaming
> of /boot/*.b).  What it is now is essentially what it has been for years.
>
> After the situation recently I'm sure you'll understand that I am very
> hesitant to do things differently...

Well, considering that the recent complaints were that you were doing too
much automatically, my suggestion simply takes that complaint to its
logical conclusion.

I don't have any problem with liloconfig running on a new install, that
makes sense. Doing an automatic configuration step during an upgrade is
simply not useful, for the most part, and could easily be removed, leaving
these steps in place for the fresh install.

You are the maintainer, and thus have the final say, so I will not bug you
about it any more.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-