Re: New LILO version, was Re: Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

> > > Currently I have rolled back the configuration/postinst code to what it
> > > was before I started packaging LILO (with the sole exception being the
> > > renaming of /boot/*.b).  What it is now is essentially what it has been
> > > for years.
> >
> > I don't have any problem with liloconfig running on a new install, that
> > makes sense. Doing an automatic configuration step during an upgrade is
> > simply not useful, for the most part, and could easily be removed, leaving
> > these steps in place for the fresh install.
>
> Well the way it effectively operates is to just ask if you want to install a
> boot block with the new lilo.

It isn't clear to me that I would ever want to do that on an upgrade ;-)

> Someone made the really good suggestion of having the boot.b type files in
> /usr/lib/lilo (or some such directory) and have them copied in when the lilo
> command is run.

Why does boot.b need to be replaced, and how does this relate to the mbr
issues?

>                 If I implement that suggestion then I will make it not run
> liloconfig on postinst unless there is no /etc/lilo.conf.

My /etc/lilo.conf is a symlink to /boot/lilo.conf, which is a separate
partition used by several root filesystems. I would suggest you do the
following in the postinst script:

if [ "$1" != "upgrade" ] ; then
  liloconfig
else
  echo "<some message about running lilocnfig>"
fi

then the rest of the installation details need not be known or accounted
for, and are left to the sysadmin.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-