Re: Maintaining kernel module packages?

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 07:33:14AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> The same thing can be easily extracted from include/config, even in a
> Makefile.

It _could_, but that requires modifications.  You can't just
take out chunks of the kernel, like drivers/sound, and get
them to compile this way.  That seems to be the model most
developers are following, probably because they have future
plans to get their code included in the kernel and/or they
also support compiling directly into the kernel.

Besides, this method doesn't work for 2.2 kernels.

> This script is actually not that reliable.

That's an understatement...  =)

> For instance, if any compile
> options change on the kernel side, this will break.  However, most of it
> will continue to work with just include/.  The only thing besides compiler
> options that requires things outside include/ is get_cross_compile, which
> isn't terribly useful here anyway.

Ideally, I'd like to have it extract the kernel flags from the
kernel Makefiles instead of having them hard-coded -- it was mainly
an experiment to see if I liked the way it was done.  I don't,
but it worked, and I didn't have time to do anything better.

If realtime-config could extract kernel flags from the kernel
Makefiles, combined with the --cache option, it would be quite
useful.  Generate the cache when the kernel exists, and include
the cache file with the header package -- that provides most
of the necessary information, mainly $(CFLAGS).

The script was an attempt to make module compilation semi-independent
of having a kernel source tree.  It's a nasty, unreliable hack,
but it's one of the few solutions since you seem unwilling to put
the necessary files in the kernel header packages.

dave...