Re: Slang (Sid)

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 10:28:22PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> IMHO, the wide character support patch is causing far too many problems,
> and needs to be reverted.

Well, I'd just like to voice one reason why it should stay in: it is necessary
for proper UTF-8 support in mutt. However you have to compile mutt with slang
first - I am going to file a bug on mutt about this. I have made a mutt-slang
package which I have installed on my local system, which is simply the mutt
package compiled with slang (and with the zh_TW.Big5.po file disabled because
it's causing problems for me). I'll distribute it to those who want it; it's
not worth it for me to add it to the distribution because it'd be easy enough,
probably easier, for the mutt package maintainer to handle the slang version.

I am annoyed, just like you all are, about the box drawing characters not
drawing on the console, but in a UTF-8 enabled xterm with a UTF-8 locale and
a Unicode font, all of which I am using, all the lines draw properly in an
xterm in mutt. The current xterm in unstable (and testing, too, if XFree4.0
is there) supports UTF-8; just run it with the -u8 switch and use a Unicode
font such as the ones in the ucs-fonts.tar.gz file available from:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/download/ucs-fonts.tar.gz

I intend some time to make a Debian package out of this - it doesn't look
too hard. But don't wait for me. The -u8 switch and a Unicode font can both
be specified in ~/.Xresources so you don't have to type them each time you
start xterm.

And getting a UTF-8 locale is as easy as (1) adding a line like the following
to your /etc/locale.gen file:

en_US	UTF-8

and (2) rerunning locale-gen as root, and (3) setting the environment
variable LANG to en_US.UTF-8 (of course adapt for whatever locale is
appropriate).