Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

OK, I did an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' today which ended as follows:

(Reading database ... 36884 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace bison 1:1.28-5 (using .../bison_1%3a1.28-8_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement bison ...
Selecting previously deselected package libdns4.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg recieved a segmentation fault.
dwarf:/home/dwarf#

So I tried again and was told to do 'dpkg --configure -a', which I did,
and all the previously unpacked packages were configured, although I had
some trouble with LILO [1].

Just to make sure that the upgrade was complete, I ran dist-upgrade again,
with the following results:

dwarf:/home/dwarf# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
  debconf-utils gconf host libdns4 libgconf11 libgnome-vfs0 libisc3
liblwres1
  liboaf0 libscrollkeeper0 libservlet2.2-java libssl0.9.6 libttf2
libwraster2
  oaf scrollkeeper
The following packages have been kept back
  debian-policy lib-xt-java rwho
159 packages upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3  not
upgraded.
Need to get 0B/76.8MB of archives. After unpacking 32.1MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
debconf: skipping preconfiguration (apt-utils is not installed)
E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt || true
dwarf:/home/dwarf#

So, I did an 'apt-get install apt-utils' which installed just fine (why
didn't apt know it would need this package?) and tried again and got:

Selecting previously deselected package libdns4.
(Reading database ... 36895 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libdns4 (from .../libdns4_1%3a9.1.1-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libisc3.
Unpacking libisc3 (from .../libisc3_1%3a9.1.1-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package liblwres1.
Unpacking liblwres1 (from .../liblwres1_1%3a9.1.1-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libssl0.9.6.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg received a segmentation fault.
dwarf:/home/dwarf#

Now I assume that if I keep doing this over and over (dpkg --configure -a
followed by apt-get dist-upgrade) that I will eventually get a completed
upgrade but:

1. Why is dpkg segfaulting?
2. Why doesn't apt-get pull in the packages it needs?

[1] LILO issues with debconf

It was a bit disconcerting to go through the LILO debconf screens, first
being asked if you wish to modify lilo.conf, then when the answer is no
being asked configuration questions about LILO and worst of all about MBR
settings. If you choose the cancel button on these windows you get forced
back to the initial request screen and have to wade through these screens
again. A small note on the final screen indicates that non of these items
will have any effect as liloconfig will not be run (and thankyou very much
for that declaration ;-)

So, I said no to changing lilo.conf, got asked a bunch of questions
anyway, and for a while it looked like I was going to have to take MBR
functions whether I wanted them or not. This is an upgrade, not a new
install. I don't want even the suggestion that my working LILO
configuration is going to be altered in any way. This set of questions
doesn't do anything to make me feel safe about this installation.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-