Re: Ext2 ACLs

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:28:37AM -0000, Pawel Wiecek wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm about to package Access Control Lists for ext2 (http://acl.bestbits.at/)
> (ITPs coming soon, I have to analyze a few things before I send them).
>
> The ACLs need patched versions of e2fsprogs and fileutils. The question is
> whether I should create packages with those as well or should ask e2fsprogs
> and fileutils maintainers to include ACL patches in them?
>
>     Pawel

I have already packaged all the necessary software (and i am in close
cooperation with the author of the POSIX ACL patch and the TrustedBSD people).
All i need to do is to figure out how to create a proper kernel-patch
package

I also have contacted (via bug report) the fileutils maintainer, who
has chosen to deny my request to include the necessary patch.

There is also somebody preparing the packaging (i'll have to look up the
name in my mail archive) of the latest libcap, which is needed to
support file system based capabilities.  The current libcap
maintainer has decided not to use the latest sources.

So i have prepared fileutils-acl and e2fsprog-acl (etc.) packages to go
with the ea and acl packages. However i have still to test wether EA/ACL
support works on big-endian systems (on request by the EA/ACL author).
I wanted to resolve that issue before speaking out.  Unfortunately i
killed my Debian/SPARC installation with a botched Solaris upgrade and
compiling kernels on my old Multia is time consuming...

I will register as maintainer of these packages unless there are
objections.  Since i used to be a Debian developer some time back
(i wonder how many of you still recognize me...) there shouldn't
be too many.

Dominik Kubla
--
ScioByte GmbH                           Telefon: +49 (0)6131 54 01 17
Zum Schiersteiner Grund 2               Fax:     +49 (0)6131 610 99 16