Re: Problems building libgmp3

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 11:22:08PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > The part you clipped off indicates that these commands are being generated
> > by a libtools call, so I don't think I'm going to gain control of this
> > with any ease, unless you have some specific suggestions.
>
> Wow, libtool is responsible for yet more braindamage..

This is not too unreasonable and documented.  It helps to look at the full
log Dale quoted.  The gcc invocations are basically identical.  The
output of the second run are discarded to avoid duplicating warnings.
(See File: libtool.info,  Node: Creating object files)

Compiling with or without -fPIC -DPIC shouldn't make any difference.  It is
not unreasonable to assume that they will lead to identical output on
stderr (esp. as no linking is done).  It is trivial to see that something
is majorly goofed up with Dales system.  It is likely a hardware failure or
a resource shortage, and under such circumstances the error message can't
be trusted anyway (at least you have to be careful interpreting it).

Now, there are some temporary failures from which it is easy to recover,
like resource shortages or external intrusion into the operation of the
build system.  A point can be made that it is not uninteresting which
resource was exhausted (or what other reason caused the error).  However, I
think it is important to recognize that the output is not discarded
thoughtlessly (as `brain-damaged' would indicate), even if you disagree with
it.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de