mutt char/keymaps again

Hi all
I posted this a couple fo times already... Problem is I cannot reproduce
this consistently... Here goes.

I logged in on vc2, fired up mutt, pressed an arrow key and got the
familiar "Key is not bound.  Press '?' for help." PgUp/Dn and Home/End
work, it's just the arrow keys. So, I tried loading a whole bunch of
different keymaps -- no dice. Arrow keys work in other Slang apps (jed,
slrn). Okay, I log in on vc3, start mutt and guess what? -- arrow keys
work. WTF? Any toughts?

The box is mostly testing, with a few bits off unstable. Kernel 2.4.4,
mutt-1.3.15-2, framebuffer console (riva).
This $#17 has been happening at random with all 2.4.* kernels, before
2.4.3 it seemed to happen only on vc > 3. It happens to mutt only.

While we're at it, why does mutt display pound sign as \243 (in
message body)? Jed doesn't seem to have a problem (when replying to
that message). Is that normal behaviour when charset is not specified
in the headers?

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)