Re: Problems building libgmp3

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -DOPERATION_gcd -O3 -c gcd.c -o
> > gcd.o >/dev/null 2>&1
> > make[4]: *** [gcd.lo] Error 1
>
> This build is *severly* sick: it redirects all compiler output including
> errors and warnings to /dev/null making it completely impossible to see what
> the error is. Until you fix that it's impossible to say what the error is.

This is the upstream build!

The part you clipped off indicates that these commands are being generated
by a libtools call, so I don't think I'm going to gain control of this
with any ease, unless you have some specific suggestions.

In any case, this code built just fine on my machine as recently as last
Saturday. I'm pretty sure that I didn't remove or install any packages
during this time, so something else has occured, I just can't figure it
out. I'm pretty certain at this point that it has to do with my machine's
current state.

Another possibly useful data point: the error has not ever occured at the
same point on successive runs. It appears random...

I also can't get this to build on my Sparc. It says it can't decide on the
architecture using config.guess, which is also package supplied.

The Sparc is a pure Potato system, while the Intel is a not-so-recently
upgraded Woody machine.

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-