Re: build depends on kernel-headers

On Sun, 6 May 2001, Herbert Xu wrote:

> > I maintain util-linux that is a user space package that needs many kernel
> > headers (and the package in unstable compiles only with 2.4 kernel
> > headers). I do currently use the kernel haeaders libc6-dev ships.  Would
> > it be the right solution to copy the 2.4.4 kernel headers into the package
> > and use them?
>
> It needs to be looked at on a case-by-case basis.  In general though,
> if you need access to something that is not provided by glibc, you'll
> have to setup a local header file and maintain it yourself as new
> kernel releases come out.

What do you suggest in my specific case with util-linux?

> I wouldn't expect the Debian maintainer to have to go through this
> though, as this is something that must be dealt with in the upstream
> util-linux package.

You mean every upstream source should ship it's own kernel headers?
That's ugly and it reminds me that libtool does the same (every program
tht uses libtool ships it's own copy of libtool) - and every time I
compile a program that uses libtool under NetBSD/sparc-1.5 I must do a
"libtoolize --force" to prevent a miscompilation of the libraries - it
would be much more easy when the programs would use a locally installed
libtool instead.

cu
Adrian

--

Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind wagen wir sie nicht,
sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen sind sie schwierig.