Re: build depends on kernel-headers

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 03:45:39PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> What do you suggest in my specific case with util-linux?

Which specific program in util-linux and what specific headers?

> You mean every upstream source should ship it's own kernel headers?

Yes, they should ship their own headers for kernel data structures and they
need to maintain it so that it works across kernel versions.

> That's ugly and it reminds me that libtool does the same (every program
> tht uses libtool ships it's own copy of libtool) - and every time I
> compile a program that uses libtool under NetBSD/sparc-1.5 I must do a
> "libtoolize --force" to prevent a miscompilation of the libraries - it
> would be much more easy when the programs would use a locally installed
> libtool instead.

Well someone's got to maintain the kernel/user space interface.  If it
isn't glibc (which does it for most things), then it's whoever uses it.