Re: ITP: serpento -- dictd server written in python

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 02:17:40PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 09:04:29PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > Package: wnpp
> > Severity: wishlist
> >
> > serpento is a dict (RFC 2229) server
> > written in python.
> >
> > I am the author, package is already ready and being
> > duploaded.
>
> Cool. The description will mention the differences between it and
> dictd, won't it?

It is all in README
basically, it is.. uhm.. different :-)

> > License: GPL, with the addition: It can be linked with
> > whatever you want, without any restrictions.
> > (so that I can have a module in C there.. sigh)
>
> There's much cleaner ways of doing this, if you just want to link
> with one module. If you send a more detailed description to
> debian-legal, I'm sure we can give advice. If it's just Python,
> I'd say "with the exception that it can be linked with Python".
> The LGPL is about the same as your current license, but a lot
> clearer.

I know, I meant this as a stopgap until the licensing issues with
python are resolved (hopefully with python2.1)

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 03:12:57PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> Also, does it use /var/lib/dictd/db.list or /etc/dictd.conf? If it

None.
Unfortunately, serpento uses different sort order for .index files,
(not to mention that it has completely different configuration file)
so plain old dict-* packages are unusable as installed.
Script to create index files for serpento is included, but
(currently) has to be run manually.

> doesn't, then some sort of install-dict-dictionary needs to be made
> and all the dict-* packages made to use it, or serpento needs to be
> fixed to use it.

Yes, I plan to add automatic conversion of index files and
some kind of adding the existing databases to the configuration
file, but so far I have no good idea on how to do it the best way.
(perhaps divert dictdconfig... or conflict with dictd and provide
own dictdconfig(8) - in fact, serpento clashes with dictd if you do
leave the default ports the same, so a conflict would probably be
justified anyway)