Re: why dig ? I wanna use nslookup !

from the secret journal of Gerrit Pape (pape@innominate.com):
> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 04:02:33PM -0400, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> > from the secret journal of Gerrit Pape (pape@innominate.com):
> > > What makes you reacting so blind and childish? This is not the topic of this
> > > thread, just notice that there are debian people running djbdns - relaxed,
> > > bind-free. Not having real djbdns (+co) packages in debian is a pity.
> > >

> > Closed-source software is even more of a pity. DJB's license (or lack there
> Uf, read the source, technical and library documentation at
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

"Closed" may have been the wrong word. Non-free would have been more
accurate. You can study DJB's code all you want, but not your own binaries
or modified source.

> I am willing to stop or move this thread if wrong facts are clarified.

I was referring the the parent thread, which was on the subject of nslookup
being depricated. Since this is not a debian issue, so much as a BIND issue,
it should be discussed on their lists, not ours.

I read somewhere (probably either oreilly's dns book or the bind admin
guide) that nslookup is an innacurate tool anyway, so I'm not the least bit
sorry to see it go. IIRC, nslookup tries to mimic the behavior of the
resolver libraries rather than using the libraries themselves.

{host,mx,ns,soa,zone,aaaa,txt} are each less typing anyway.

--
Jacob Kuntz
Technology Director