Re: why dig ? I wanna use nslookup !

On Tue 01 May 2001, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Apr 28, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
>
>  >OK, but who have choose that nslookup is deprecated in favour of the
>  >other two tools ?

> The people who wrote BIND and developed a very large part of the DNS
> infrastructure, the group of people who knows about DNS more than most
> other people in the world.

Heh. *I* know more about DNS than most other people in the world
(and that's not saying much).

> nslookup is broken, please let it die its long-deserved death.

What's broken about it, apart from the brokenness that's in the current
version about the verbose warnings and missing features (eg. ls) ?
AFAIK it does exactly what it was designed to do. This is like saying
"ed is broken, use emacs", while ed performs its task perfectly.

So, please explain what is really broken about it. After all, it's
NSlookup, not HOSTlookup or whatever. Both dig and host are too noisy
for me, although I won't hesitate to use them when I need their specific
functionality.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       wurtel@spamcop.net   http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/