Re: RFC: English translation list

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 09:20:22PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> English is Debian's de-facto language -- all of our developers have at
> least some proficiency it it, and all are required to create English
> documents, such as package descriptions, man pages, debconf templates,
> README.Debian files, and so on. But we're not all native English
> speakers, and sometimes it shows.
>
> While I am not proficient enough in any other language to check for sure,
> I suspect that the overall of the translations that exist in other languages
> are often of higher and more consistent quality than much of the text they
> translate[1]. After all, many of these English texts are themselves
> translations from the original in the native language of the author.

Absolutely seconded. I have, for example, create a GRUB Howto in French,
simply because it sounds to me stupid to try to write an "original" text
that is not the best I can make (I don't say it's good, I just say it is
better in the native language).

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org