Re: Many ports open by default

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 02:25:34AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> Why would you keep something around if you don't want to run it?  Debian
> makes the (correct) assumption that if you've installed something, you
> want to run it.  If i install bind, it will assume i want it to run.  If
> i install exim, it will first configure it for me (prompting me), and
> then assume i want to run it.  Why should portmap be any different?
> The question you should be asking is, why is portmap installed by default?
> Similiarly, is there something that can be done during installation that
> asks the user if certain things (nfs) that require portmap should be
> installed.  If there's nothing that depends on portmap, then default
> to not installing portmap.  Having daemons shut off by default is
> not the way to go, however.
Actually there are some packages that depend on a mail-transport-agent,
(such as lilo->logrotate->mailx), yet one may not want to have an MTA
running on certain systems.  I suppose a dummy or minimal MTA may be
used (and may exist, I'm not aware), but this certainly highlights the
need to be able to disable daemons but still have them installed; especially
since most MTA's still have certain functionality even when not listening
on port 25.

Another common one is xdm (even though it's more than just a network daemon),
which task-x-window-system depends on, and to remove xdm one must remove
task-x-window-system.