Re: Many ports open by default

> Actually there are some packages that depend on a mail-transport-agent,
> (such as lilo->logrotate->mailx), yet one may not want to have an MTA
> running on certain systems.  I suppose a dummy or minimal MTA may be

I think it's safe to assume that your system MUST have a working MTA of
some sort (even if it's local-only, which is supported by eximconfig).
Running a Unix system without an MTA *at*all* means that you won't get
notified of failing cron jobs, etc. ...

> used (and may exist, I'm not aware), but this certainly highlights the

"apt-get install ssmtp".  Note that this has terrible behaviour on even
transient failure -- it just drops messages into dead-letter.  Exim (don't
run the daemon, just the cronjob that cleans the queue) works better for
me.

The OTHER daemons (certainly xdm) are optional.  But I think it's probably
safe to say that running Debian without an MTA is "unsupported".

							Will