Re: Many ports open by default

Why would you keep something around if you don't want to run it?  Debian
makes the (correct) assumption that if you've installed something, you
want to run it.  If i install bind, it will assume i want it to run.  If
i install exim, it will first configure it for me (prompting me), and
then assume i want to run it.  Why should portmap be any different?
The question you should be asking is, why is portmap installed by default?
Similiarly, is there something that can be done during installation that
asks the user if certain things (nfs) that require portmap should be
installed.  If there's nothing that depends on portmap, then default
to not installing portmap.  Having daemons shut off by default is
not the way to go, however.

--
"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited
by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when