Many ports open by default

I suspect it's already been discussed before, so I'll ask instead of flaming.
(See!  I can learn!)

Why does a server automatically get run just because it's installed?  For
instance, portmap is installed by default whether you're using NFS or not, and
bnetd runs even if I just installed the package for bnchat.  Shouldn't the
default be to not run daemons unless they are explicitly enabled, like an
"exit" at the beginning of all daemon-starting init scripts that must be
commented out?

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@dlitz.net