Re: Many ports open by default

Warren A. Layton wrote:

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 02:25:34AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:

Why would you keep something around if you don't want to run it?  Debian
makes the (correct) assumption that if you've installed something, you
want to run it. If i install bind, it will assume i want it to run.

Well, not everyone that installs ssh wants to run the server (some may just
want to use the client to connect to other machines). This is just one
example; I'm sure that there are many more.

There could be, but in the specific case of ssh, and IIRC, debiconf asks if you wan't to run the server or not; I even think that the default field selected is 'No'. Of course, if you say 'Yes' then the server will run and the port
will open.

My 2 cents,

Regards,

fsm