Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On 25 Apr 2001 21:56:58 -0500, Rob Browning wrote:

> Just in case anyone else was confused, I'm still in favor of having at
> least *one* precompiled kernel per-architecture, so no one *has* to
> compile a kernel, but if they want a customized kernel, then,
> presuming the idea has merit, they would need to install the
> kernel-custom package, make a selection, and wait a bit.

I'm going to have to agree on this one. I don't think anyone should be
forced to compile a kernel, but if you care enough to want the
optimizations then you should go through the process of doing it for
yourself. That way, things will keep working quite well for those who
want it to just work, and for those who want to shear off a few k of
memory, they can do it for themselves. Everyone has a working kernel,
module debate is moot, extra mirror load is nil, and most all the other
major points of contention go away as well.

Just my $0.02

- David Nusinow
   krmt1984@ucla.edu