Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

Daniel Stone <daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net> wrote:
>> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
>> > Are these *really* necessary? Who does need them, people who compile
>>
>> Yes.  By all module builders, especially those outside Debian.
>>
>> > external kernel-modules (alsa, lm-sensors, ...)? Can't these
>> > people simply install kernel-source, extract it to /tmp and set $KSRC?

> (A lot of) Netfilter stuff also doesn't go in the kernel without patching
> the kernel proper. Plus, your own hacks don't work too well, especially when
> it's to existing code.

> (Replying to Andreas:)

> Plus, I don't see any kernel packages for 2.4.3-ac12+loadsa netfilter
> patches out there. Could you please point me to them, and then I will become
> a convert to this argument, and use kernel .deb's?

Hello!
Sorry, you lost me, I do not understand your argument. The question was,
who uses kernel-headers-<version>-<cpu>.deb?
                                  ^^^^^
If there was a "kernel-headers-2.4.3-ac12+loadsa+netfilter-k6 package
available, there would be either a
kernel-source-2.4.3-ac12+loadsa+netfilter*.deb or
kernel-source-2.4.3*deb plus kernel-patch-ac12+loadsa+netfilter*deb
available, too.

To Herbert:
Call me a cretin, I still do not understand you either. What do you
mean by "module builders [...] especially those outside Debian". The
people from alsa who do not use Debian (How would they use a
debian-package?) or debian-users who no debian-developers (= no
@debian.org email-adress)? Pointers to documentation to enlighten me
are welcome.
      TIA, cu andreas
--
Uptime: 10 seconds  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
vim:ls=2:stl=***\ Sing\ a\ song.\ ***