Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

> I think someone else suggested something similar, but what would
> prevent us from having a minimal set of kernel packages per arch,
> maybe even just one, and then having a kernel-custom package that pops
> up a debconf gui when installed, listing all the available
> configurations[1], and once selected, builds and installs the
> requested kernel, with all the modules that have been installed as
> source packages.

i am, i think, one of many people who look forward to
not having to compile kernels anymore. [*]

this is, after all, debian, not bsd.

whether we need all the variants, please don't ask me.

but whether we should have to compile on our machine: i'd really rather not.

thanks,
dave

[*] now, in fairness i often use the stock kernel anyways...