Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:59:42PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> btw, if you've been compiling your own kernels for a long time then you
> probably do somthing similar to what i do - copy in the .config from the
> previous version and run "make oldconfig" before "make menuconfig" and
> make-kpkg. i've been doing this for years and it's a great way to manage
> kernels. i even make copies of the .config files which are specific to
> particular machines.

I do that too; what's the oldconfig step needed for though? I just
jump straight to menuconfig and it always seems OK.

I agree that it is not too hard to compile your own kernel.
I never use Debian's standard kernel-image packages (except on
my 68K Mac, where it takes too long to recompile).

Hamish