Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Sat, 21 April 2001 14:01:21 +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Frank Copeland <fjc@thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
>
> > I will say I'm puzzled by the idea of optimising x86 kernel packages
> > for processor type rather than the old division into "kitchen sink",
> > -compact, -ide and -idepci. I was always given to understand that
>
> That division was only necessary because we weren't using initrd.

Can you (or someone else) please explain that? I fail to
understand that, I am lacking the background and would like
to understand.

Regards,
Alexander

--
... Microsoft: Problems for a small planet.
Alexander Koch - <>< - WWJD - aka Efraim - PGP 0xE7694969 - KOCH1-RIPE