Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

Alexander Koch <efraim@sonic.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 April 2001 14:01:21 +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
>> Frank Copeland <fjc@thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> > I will say I'm puzzled by the idea of optimising x86 kernel packages
>> > for processor type rather than the old division into "kitchen sink",
>> > -compact, -ide and -idepci. I was always given to understand that
>>
>> That division was only necessary because we weren't using initrd.

> Can you (or someone else) please explain that? I fail to

Up until now, we have had to include all/most SCSI drivers in our kernel
image as that is the only way to boot on a machine where the root file
system is living on a SCSI disk.  Now that we're using initrd, this is
no longer necessary as the SCSI drivers can be loaded as modules which
live in the initrd image.

The other flavours (-compact, -ide, -idepci) exist mostly due to this fact.
The inclusion of SCSI drivers is very problematic as some of them do
dangerous probes that may result in a hung machine.