Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 01:38:42PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> IMHO, with the current 2.4.* setup, the difference between compiling your
> own and using the preexisting one is so minimal that most people will be
> able to use the precompiled one rather than building their own.

Fair enough. But what about the difference between machine-dependant
optimisation? Perhaps the difference between i386 and PIII is so minimal
that most people will be able to use the precompiled i386-image? At
least those were the rumours I heard some time ago.
Did someone investigate this?