Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 12:26:37PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 12:13:57PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
> > You're ignoring our main disagreement.  Which is whether most people
> > should use precompiled kernel images or recompile them.
>
> no, i'm not.
>
> i keep on trying to get you to address the issue rather than try to
> distract from it with irrelevancies about initrd. using initd does not
> require that we bloat the number of kernel-image packages...that's
> entirely your choice, and the only relationship initrd has to your
> choice is that initrd makes it somewhat easier to implement.

Who's talking about initrd? Please read what I said again.

> if the user needs a more specific kernel (e.g. with SMP or compiled
> for a P2 or a K6 or whatever) then they can use manoj's excellent
> kernel-package (one of debian's best features, IMO) to build a custom
> kernel.

This is exactly our disagreement.  My position is that it is well within
our capabilities to make this unnecessary.  And you disagree with that
which is fine with me.

> there will always be reasons to compile a custom kernel.
>
> 2 of the most obvious reasons are:
>
> 1. not every kernel option is a module

Most are.  In my opinioin, there isn't anything that is particular important
to most people which haven't been modularised yet.

> 2. it is, in general, *far* better to run a kernel which is specific to
> your exact hardware and your exact requirements than to use a generic
> kernel with a bunch of options you don't use and don't care about
> compiled in.

IMHO, with the current 2.4.* setup, the difference between compiling your
own and using the preexisting one is so minimal that most people will be
able to use the precompiled one rather than building their own.

Of course, this seems to be something that you don't particular like.