Outdated config.sub etc. breaking autobuilding

Hi Philip,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 06:51:23PM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:

> list and the Packages files.  A lot of other ARM failures are caused by
> config.sub being too old and similar trivial configury failures -
> fortunately, unlike build-depends, these don't tend to regress over time.

If the autoconf generated files are too old the solution is easy: Rerun
autoconf. But I don't really like to do that in debian/rules since
it can also make things worse. SuSE for example run autoconf/automake/...
automatically if files generated by those are detected during build time.
We could do that as well but it happened to me that a source package
which worked on SuSE 7.0 did not work on SuSE 6.4 and SuSE 7.1. The
autoconf from 7.1 was to new and the one from 6.4 to old or something
along that line.

Can we equip our auto builders with some logic to update config.sub etc.
automatically if the build fails and retry with the updated files?

Just a though

	Torsten