Re: sensible-browser and sensible-image-viewer

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 10:39:30AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> I guess I'm missing the point: who generates the
> list? Update-alternatives doesn't do any such thing.

It does:

malcolm@arthur:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator

There are 2 programs which provide `x-terminal-emulator'.

  Selection    Command
 +    1        /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.wrapper
*     2        /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

Enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
Using `/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm' to provide `x-terminal-emulator'.

> > I don't start all applications from a shell.
>
> Then use the menu entry that points to the editor (or whatever it is)
> you want. Or create user menu entries. Or create a desktop icon that
> points to what you want. I just don't get it.

Lots of menu entries launch x-terminal-emulator to run the program in.
A user should be able to choose which xterm is run.

> It's Linux: get used to it.  Or prove me wrong: create a tool that does
> what you want, and get it packaged and uploaded. If it's generally
> useful, it will get used.

I just might do that.