Re: sensible-browser and sensible-image-viewer

On 11-Apr-01, 08:20 (CDT), Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
> Erik Steffl wrote:
> >Malcolm Parsons wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd also like to see a tool to allow a user to select alternatives, by
> >> creating symlinks in ~/bin to the appropriate binaries.
> >  perhaps that's what update-alternatives should do when run as non-root
> >  user?

There is a tool to do this: it's called 'ln'.

> I think it's a good idea. Users ready to use update-alternatives
> should be able to set a PATH(in .xsession, else apps launched by wm
> does not have the good path).  But how we implement it ?

alias vi=vim

Anyway, this is silly and pointless. The point of the alternatives
system is that there may be several packages that implement a similar
functionality, and only one of them can use the default name (e.g. vi,
emacs). It's a system level problem, and update-alternatives is a system
level solution.

HOWEVER, there is nothing to prevent the user from typing whatever name
they want, or creating an alias to do what they want, or creating a link
in their own ~/bin to point to whatever they want.

You've got a very complex solution to a non-existent problem.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read