Re: sensible-browser and sensible-image-viewer

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 09:58:29AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 11-Apr-01, 08:20 (CDT), Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
> > Erik Steffl wrote:

> > >  perhaps that's what update-alternatives should do when run as non-root
> > >  user?
>
> There is a tool to do this: it's called 'ln'.

Yes, that's what I'm doing at the moment, I'd like something more user
friendly, allowing the user to select the link destination from a list.

> > I think it's a good idea. Users ready to use update-alternatives
> > should be able to set a PATH(in .xsession, else apps launched by wm
> > does not have the good path).  But how we implement it ?
>
> alias vi=vim

I don't start all applications from a shell.

> HOWEVER, there is nothing to prevent the user from typing whatever name
> they want, or creating an alias to do what they want, or creating a link
> in their own ~/bin to point to whatever they want.

So you agree that links in ~/bin should be supported?

(I would like to persuade Christian Marillat to fix bug #79941)

> You've got a very complex solution to a non-existent problem.

Yes, the double link idea was a bit OTT.