Re: testing installation bot just plain doesn't like XFree86

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 02:09:47PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Is there any mileage in suggesting that build daemons might be able to
> apply some heuristics (e.g. shlibdeps of uploaded binary packages) to
> guess which build environment was originally used for a package, and
> then build against the appropriate distribution? It seems that, as we
> approach release, more and more people are going to want to build
> against testing in order to get an urgent upload through, and build
> daemons unconditionally running unstable would stymie that, just as
> build daemons unconditionally running testing would stymie other things.
> Manually building for all architectures may be an option, but that's
> really something the buildds are there to do.

Guessing "Do What I Mean" is not what the buildds are there to do.
Perhaps we could get rbuilder set up for all Debian developers and have
that use testing, but the buildds need to stay against unstable or all
sorts of odd problems crop up - because the majority of packages in
unstable are originally built against unstable.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team