Re: Configuring sources.list during install: idea

#On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 12:33:00PM -0700, David Whedon wrote:

> > > I think so.  woody boot-floppies uses the package debootstrap to install the
> > > base system rather than having baseX.tgz.  debootstrap pulls packages
> > > individually off a mirror and installs them on the target.  The same set of boot
> > > floppies can install testing, unstable, stable and even archived distributions
> > > such as slink.
> > >
> > > David
> > >

> > Oh well, thats just great. Its been implemented, end of story ;)
> >
> > So therefore means people can create more customized disks for installing
> > any of the distributions.
> I'm not sure I follow.
>
> > ReiserFS/RAID/LVM/XFS/Ext3 support or with a
> This could be added, but isn't related to debootstrap.  It would have to be
> handled before debootstrap is called.  debootstrap just grabs debs and unpacks
> them.
>
> > kernel with particular options.
> Yes, it is possible to replace the kernel on the install disk. But debootstrap
> doesn't install the kernel.
>
> Put anouther way.  If you wanted to make a woody/slink/potato chroot on your
> system, you can use debootstrap.  That is all it is used for, creating a chroot
> on an already prepared filesystem.  Other tools prepare the file system and
> install the kernel.
>
> David

What i meant was that people could use their own kernel (with whatever
additions they want) and then use debootstrap to install the packages. Sorry
if i didnt make sense :( Rather than struggling with older style
boot-floppies stuff

rob
--
Rob 'robster' Bradford