Re: Configuring sources.list during install: idea

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:18:13PM +0300, Ilkka Tuohela wrote:

> We have a fairly big local network of debian hosts. I just got this
> silly idea how to configure sources.list during install...
>
> First, we share a local pre-configured sources.list available with
> NFS and http. I really would like to be able to enter this URL when
> configuring sources.list, preferably giving just the URL and letting
> installer fetch sources.list from network. This should not be even
> hard to add to the installer, methinks?

This sounds great, i'm sure it would be easy to include ...

> Another idea was a little bit more complicated: instead of entering
> the URL by yourself you could add automatic configuration as one
> possibility, just like wpad proxy configuration proposal. We could
> simply support one type of DNS record for this, nothing as fancy as
> WPAD which defines multiple protocols and options.

Hhm. Too complicated for my little brain to understand ;)

However i have another point to make, many people i know inclding myself
install the stable release in order to upgrade to unstable/testing.
Therefore i think it would be a good idea to offer the option of not
installing any of the packages (except base system or not? ) from stable and
instead create a sources.list for the user's chosen version and then get the
packages. This would save time and for people who only want the installer in
order to grab unstable of the net a smaller download.

Do i make myself understood?

rob

--
Rob 'robster' Bradford