Re: Configuring sources.list during install: idea

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:50:50AM -0700, David Whedon wrote:

> > However i have another point to make, many people i know inclding myself
> > install the stable release in order to upgrade to unstable/testing.
> > Therefore i think it would be a good idea to offer the option of not
> > installing any of the packages (except base system or not? ) from stable and
> > instead create a sources.list for the user's chosen version and then get the
> > packages. This would save time and for people who only want the installer in
> > order to grab unstable of the net a smaller download.
> >
> > Do i make myself understood?
> >

> I think so.  woody boot-floppies uses the package debootstrap to install the
> base system rather than having baseX.tgz.  debootstrap pulls packages
> individually off a mirror and installs them on the target.  The same set of boot
> floppies can install testing, unstable, stable and even archived distributions
> such as slink.
>
> David

Oh well, thats just great. Its been implemented, end of story ;)

So therefore means people can create more customized disks for installing
any of the distributions. ReiserFS/RAID/LVM/XFS/Ext3 support or with a
kernel with particular options.

Great!

rob
--