Re: potato bugs...(ugh)

On 10 Apr 2001 17:37:16 +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 05:05:45PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> > Louis-David Mitterrand (2001-04-10 16:55:54 +0200) :
> >
> > > Think about it: a bug as logo! it conveys that:
> > > - debian tamed the bugs,
> > > - is not afraid a showing a real bug,
> > > - never hides a bug
> > > - likes bugs for their artistic sake,
> > >
> > > That bug picture is a "aha" moment. It makes total sense to have it as
> > > Debian logo.
> >
> > Not sure that was a serious suggestion...  If so, I'd like to object
> > that only in English does it make sense.  The fact that the same word
> > can mean both any random small insect and a malfunction in a computer
> > programme does not happen, say, in French, and I suspect it may also
> > be the case for other languages.
> >
> >   Besides, I like the abstract logo.
>
> Abstract tends to be cold. The present logo, besides being butt-ugly
> (that's a matter of taste of course),
> - isn't warm at all,
> - it means nothing,
> - it's not accessible to outsiders,
> - doesn't convey anything about debian (which is the primary task of a
>   logo)
>
> If you guys want to attract more girl-developers (and make yout BOF
> meeting more interesting) you better find some _cute_ logo. The swirl
> doesn't appeal _at all_ to girls. They like animals and cutes ones
> preferably. Abstract stuff is typically satifying to programmers because
> that's the way they think, but hey, let's do a little PR here, let's
> think outside of ourselves for a minute!

If we want a cuter, more "girl friendly" logo, why not rip off something
like the logo from http://www.kernelnewbies.org.
That baby penguin really will get them screaming for more. And it's a
hell of a lot more attractive than a stupid bug!
I like the swirl though, although I think some of the more gimp-friendly
people out there should try and work their magic on it.

- David Nusinow
   krmt1984@ucla.edu