Re: syslog.conf is utter crap?

On Wednesday 11 April 2001 01:44, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> I agree. I finally realized that my logs were so huge because debian's
> default syslog.conf puts duplicate messages in so many places.

Is this standard for most Debian installations?
Do most people use sysklogd? Or have they switched to syslog-ng / msyslog ?
And do these packages have better setups?
Please, somebody, enlighten me - if sysklogd is default, and most people run
with this kind of defect logging, would there be anybody interested in me
trying to create a new syslog.conf? Or is this wasted effort, better spent on
other things (like helping with the other two packages)?
I'm not going to do anything officially before I know that I'm not wasting my
time, so please speak up. If you just think that it's a good idea (to get
some better logging through syslog.conf) just drop me a private msg, else
mail the list (and don't Cc me then).

Also, if anybody knows if there are any standards in this field, please lemme
know!

Regards
Kenneth