Re: syslog.conf is utter crap?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 02:36:58AM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2001 01:44, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > I agree. I finally realized that my logs were so huge because debian's
> > default syslog.conf puts duplicate messages in so many places.
>
> Is this standard for most Debian installations?
> Do most people use sysklogd? Or have they switched to syslog-ng / msyslog ?
> And do these packages have better setups?
> Please, somebody, enlighten me - if sysklogd is default, and most people run

sysklogd is the default, so most likely the majority of debian users
use it.

i don't know if the other loggers have better default configurations.
i really haven't seen anything that compelling about the alternative
syslogs to bother messing with them.

> with this kind of defect logging, would there be anybody interested in me
> trying to create a new syslog.conf? Or is this wasted effort, better spent on

i think it would be useful.  i have always found debian's logging far
better then redhats, but the duplication is annoying. logcheck for
instance reports many `suspicious' things twice, such as firewall log
entries.

> other things (like helping with the other two packages)?
> I'm not going to do anything officially before I know that I'm not wasting my
> time, so please speak up. If you just think that it's a good idea (to get
> some better logging through syslog.conf) just drop me a private msg, else
> mail the list (and don't Cc me then).

please do improve the logging, in fact i think that some policy on
where what is logged to would be useful, this way the alternative
syslogs can maintain as much consistency in where everything is
logged.

> Also, if anybody knows if there are any standards in this field, please lemme
> know!

i doubt it.

--
Ethan Benson