Re: Floppy and tftp - was Woody Freeze

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 09:40:40AM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:

> > > Not likely if Craig uses off-the-shelf PC hardware. They don't have a boot
> > > monitor, remember. Floppies aren't going away in this respect untill a lot
> > > more network cards are available with a flash chip.
> >
> > Nonono.  You put the network boot code on the floppy.   www.etherboot.org
> > The PC thinks it is doing a floppy boot, so almost any system can do that,
> > then the loaded code actually does a network boot from there on.
> >
> > It would be very convenient to have a debian package that depends on
> > tftp server and dhcp server, then configures them for you.  All unexpected
> > computers asking to boot are given the choice of becoming terminals
> > (aka www.ltsp.org) or of immediately installing debian to the hard disk.
> > It wasn't hard to set that up manually, but could easily be trivialized.
>
> I'm working on a project to run debian (servers and clients) diskless.
>
> Im actually sitting with a totally diskless computer running debian
> started with PXE, GRUB, Linux-2.4.2 and nfs-root. I intend to make
> diskless-server and diskless-client packages to simplify this.
>
> Is there anyone else out there that are interested in this?
>
> I will probably have them done sometime during the summer. Well
> I could make them in a couple of days but now I'm a bit too busy in
> packaging java packages. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> // Ola
I'm running some diskless clients with debian too, and I'm doing a lot of customizing. So it will be a good idea to join efforts.
I'm running kernel 2.2.19 in the clients. Dhcp & tftp with 3c509 cards. I also have some Intel epro around with pxe, but I haven't boot any in pxe yet.

 I will be pleased to help in making those diskless pakages. But also note that there are some packages already made. The goal will probably be, as you say, to simplify the process and improve the packages.

--
Pedro Larroy Tovar. PiotR | http://omega.resa.es/personales/piotr/
piotr@omega.resa.es