Re: merged messages mystery (new, improved! with null-padded email sample)

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 12:22:35PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > Some users of our network (a Debian unstable mail server with postfix,
> > procmail, uw-imap, uw-ipop3d and Oulook Express clients) report
> > instances of merged e-mail messages: two separate messages become one
> > with merged headers and loss of one of the messages' body.
>
> I'm quite certain it is a bug in how procmail deals with mboxes.
> I used to suffer from this on a regular basis until I switched all
> my mail over to maildirs.

It's a possibility but I am leaning in another direction right now:

I suspect a problem with /var/spool/mail 's permissions. In
/usr/share/doc/uw-imapd-ssl/bugs.txt.gz one can read:

 . /tmp, /usr/tmp or /var/tmp (if present), and the mail spool directory
      must be protected 1777 (world write with sticky bit); otherwise
      mailbox locking and updates won't work.

But on Debian systems /var/spool/mail 's mode is drwxrwsr-x if you
decline to have world-writable directories when installing (for
instance) postfix.

So this might warrant a major warning message either in postfix or
uw-imap or both when installing.

> The nul-characters are weird though, I never had those, and suggest
> a kernel problem.

I have included one of these (finally found it!) as an attachement.
Really strange.

--
If I want your opinion I'll give you one.