Re: merged messages mystery (new, improved! with null-padded email sample)

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 01:10:22PM +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> I suspect a problem with /var/spool/mail 's permissions. In
> /usr/share/doc/uw-imapd-ssl/bugs.txt.gz one can read:
>
>  . /tmp, /usr/tmp or /var/tmp (if present), and the mail spool directory
>       must be protected 1777 (world write with sticky bit); otherwise
>       mailbox locking and updates won't work.
>
> But on Debian systems /var/spool/mail 's mode is drwxrwsr-x if you
> decline to have world-writable directories when installing (for
> instance) postfix.

Those are the *correct* permissions for /var/spool/mail on debian. If
uw-imapd is not coping properly with that, it is a serious bug. (I don't
know if that's the case, it likely that the debian version was patched
but the documentation wasn't.) It's probably worth asking the
maintainer, and pointing out the relevent documentation.

--
Mike Stone