Re: RFC: Ontology of Debian

"Thomas Bushnell, BSG" wrote:

> Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:
>
> > As promised, here is a little work that explains ontology research and
> > how it might be applied to "net repositories" in an accessible way.
>
> It's great CS.  It's nothing to do with "ontology", but I guess we'll
> have yet another round of CS people appropriating perfectly good words
> from other disciplines.  oh well.

Thanks Thomas. It has some relationship with the "ontology" in metaphysics
but of course this is just a mathematical approach. In fact some of the
links in "On Ontology / Annotated Ontology Resources on the Net", which
is just a small directory of ontology links, explain the difference
between ontology in philosophy and ontology in AI.

Especially in this article by Barry Smith:

"Ontology: Philosophical and Computational"
http://wings.buffalo.edu/philosophy/faculty/smith/articles/ontologies.htm

As a side note, I should mention the studies in the Metaphysics Research
Lab at Stanford. Their web page is at URI http://mally.stanford.edu/

I'm certain that you'll find their quite mathematical "The Theory of Abstract
Objects" an extraordinary study. :)

BTW, communicator can't render the site correctly, but mozilla and IE (I
think) do.

Sincerely,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural