Re: [RFC] apt-localepurge - automagically removing unnecessary locale files

joey@kitenet.net (Joey Hess) writes:

> Well, I wish the time spent writing this had been used to begin adding
> real support to dpkg for excluding operating on files at all based on a
> regex.

Yes, you are definitely right, but such a task would need someone with
more in depth programming capabilities and intimate knowledge of dpkg
than humble /me can offer.  Obviously i have had more time than coding
power... ;-)

> That has no many more general uses: Not installing docs, man
> pages, info pages, or locales; shared /usr/ or /usr/share/ that is not
> modified by the client machines, and so on.

This has been broadly discussed here a few months ago and i really
liked (and still like!) the idea.

In absence of better coding abilities, i then waited, waited some
more, and then still a little more, for someone with far more more
clue than me to implement it.  But waiting for a more worthwhile
solution unfortunately doesn't solve problems like the one i tried to
get rid of.  So i rather prefer to use a partial solution than none at
all.  At least i am now happy enough with it for my needs.

Maybe it could at least serve as an incentive for someone more
knowledgeable to make this hack obsolete by implementing a more
general solution?  I guess, if a better solution with a more general
approach appears during the next weeks i'll probably refrain from
uploading "apt-localepurge". ;-)
                                 Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   ------------ Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.uni-mainz.de> -------------