Re: [RFC] apt-localepurge - automagically removing unnecessary locale files

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Joey Hess wrote:

> Paul Seelig wrote:
> > Now, if interested parties would like to have a scrutinizing look at it
> > and possibly encourage me to make an upload of this crude hack?  It
> > might not be rocket science but it solves a problem, doesn't it?
>
> Well, I wish the time spent writing this had been used to begin adding
> real support to dpkg for excluding operating on files at all based on a
> regex. That has no many more general uses: Not installing docs, man
> pages, info pages, or locales; shared /usr/ or /usr/share/ that is not
> modified by the client machines, and so on.

Um, I have a patch for this.  Wichert didn't want me to submit it to cvs,
because he wanted to have a more generic way to define actions at unpack time.

dpkg-exclude --add *.foo
dpkg-exclude --add /usr/share/man
dpkg-exclude --list
dpkg-exclude --remove *.foo