Re: update excuses: what does "but foo is screwed anyway"?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:12:06PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> "Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@debian.org> wrote:
> > * out of date on arm: libwings-dev, libwmaker0-dev, wmaker (from
> >   0.61.1-4) (but arm is screwed anyway)
> > what does that mean?  In particular, what relation does that bear with
> > the installability (or lack of it) of a package into testing?
> The "but ... is screwed anyway" doesn't really mean anything; it certainly
> doesn't bear any direct relation to the installability of the package.  The
> excuses script just says that for all arm packages (and m68k and powerpc I
> think).  Being out of date on a screwed architecture still makes the package
> uninstallable.

The excuses stage is for pre-processing. First all the packages are looked
at, then those without source, with RC bugs, with out of date binaries,
are removed. Then from amongst those remaining, we try to select the
largest subset that doesn't make any packages uninstallable.

The "but $arch is screwed anyway" just means that that arch's autobuilder
hasn't been keeping up, so it's not worrying if that arch gets out
of sync.  (It is still worried about ensuring the binaries remain
installable, to a certain extent; but will immediately upgrade any out
of date versions to the current version when the autobuilder uploads,
and this is allowed to break stuff)

Cheers,
aj