Re: update excuses: what does "but foo is screwed anyway"?

Anthony,

could you maybe link your post into http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/?
I have been also wondering what "screwed" means, and your posting
actually does provide some usefull explanation.

That'd be very generous,
*t

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:12:06PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> > "Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@debian.org> wrote:
> > > * out of date on arm: libwings-dev, libwmaker0-dev, wmaker (from
> > >   0.61.1-4) (but arm is screwed anyway)
> > > what does that mean?  In particular, what relation does that bear with
> > > the installability (or lack of it) of a package into testing?
> > The "but ... is screwed anyway" doesn't really mean anything; it certainly
> > doesn't bear any direct relation to the installability of the package.  The
> > excuses script just says that for all arm packages (and m68k and powerpc I
> > think).  Being out of date on a screwed architecture still makes the package
> > uninstallable.
>
> The excuses stage is for pre-processing. First all the packages are looked
> at, then those without source, with RC bugs, with out of date binaries,
> are removed. Then from amongst those remaining, we try to select the
> largest subset that doesn't make any packages uninstallable.
>
> The "but $arch is screwed anyway" just means that that arch's autobuilder
> hasn't been keeping up, so it's not worrying if that arch gets out
> of sync.  (It is still worried about ensuring the binaries remain
> installable, to a certain extent; but will immediately upgrade any out
> of date versions to the current version when the autobuilder uploads,
> and this is allowed to break stuff)

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch
	     Tel: +41 (81) 330 77 11