Re: Why isn't gcc-2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2) packaged (for kernel 2.4 builds)

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 11:03:03AM -0500, Neil L. Roeth wrote:
> On Mar 16, Ond?ej Sur? (sury.ondrej@globe.cz) wrote:
>  > Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
>  >
>  > > From my point of view, alternatives are dangerous for the
>  > > compiler. In bug reports it's difficult to see the compiler
>  > > used. Therefore if you need a special version of the compiler, name it
>  > > directly.
>  >
>  > I agree.  But I offer alternative solution: gcc -V 2.91.66 is better than
>  > alternatives, because it can be used just by those who knows.
>
> Is the -V option supported under Debian at all?  AFAIK, if you install
> another version of gcc it will create a conflict at the package level.
> Is that correct?  Maybe we should look into how to support that option
> directly, e.g., by having packages for different versions, e.g.,
> gcc295, gcc291.  I've seen gcc272, why not for others?  (I suspect I
> may have just brought up a topic that has been rehashed many times
> before, but I haven't seen the discussion, so forgive me if that is
> the case.)

Gcc -V is not supported -anywhere-.  It is deprecated; it will not work
between egcs 1.1.2 and gcc 2.95.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team